The dish can be made through step 5 one day ahead and refrigerated. Remove from fridge one hour before baking, and then proceed with step 6.
1 pound (4 cups) cornbread, crumbled (see recipe at bottom of post)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter (plus additional for greasing baking dish)
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup diced green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½-1 teaspoon salt* (optional; see note)
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound Uli’s Smoked Cajun Style Andouille Sausage, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 cup chicken broth
2 large eggs, beaten
*If using purchased chicken broth, you may not need to add salt.
1. Place crumbled cornbread into a large bowl.
2. Chop sausages into half-inch cubes (or to desired size). This recipe uses Uli's Famous Sausage Smoked Cajun Andouille which comes fully cooked and does not require additional cooking prior to baking. If you're using raw sausage links, pan fry, bake, smoke or grill them prior to chopping.
3. Melt butter in a skillet and add chopped onion. Sauté a couple of minutes, then add celery, bell pepper and garlic and continue to sauté for another few minutes until softened.
4. Place in bowl with the cornbread. Add the remaining ingredients except the eggs and taste for seasoning, adjusting if necessary.
5. Add the eggs and chicken broth. Stir to mix thoroughly.
6. Pour into a buttered baking dish (a 12-inch cast iron skillet, earthenware dish, or a 9x13 inch baking pan).
7. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
This recipe makes approximately 3 pounds of cornbread. Since you only need 1 pound for the Dressing recipe, you can either eat the rest as is after baking or freeze it for another time.
2 ½ cups (13 ounces, 367 grams) coarse ground cornmeal
1 cup (5 ounces, 142 grams) all purpose flour
¼ cup (2 ounces, 56 grams) granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons (1 ½ ounces, 44 grams) baking powder
2 teaspoons (1/2 ounce, 14 grams) sea salt
4 large eggs, well beaten
2 ½ cups whole milk
½ cup (4 ounces, 110 grams) bacon fat, lard or unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 400’F. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet into oven for about 15 minutes.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Combine eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
3. Remove skillet from oven and add the bacon fat (or lard or butter). Return to oven until fat is melted.
4. Pour egg-milk mixture into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into hot skillet and bake for 30 minutes.